Part of Grafton Group Plc, Chadwicks Group is the market leader in the builder’s merchanting industry in the Republic of Ireland. The core business is through the traditional Builders Merchants division. Main brands include Chadwicks, Cork Builders Providers, Davies & Telfords. In addition, and through organic growth and acquisitions the Group have established a range of brands which are close to the core but offer a uniquely different range of products. These include Heitons Steel, Panelling Centre, Morgans Timber, Proline & Sitetech.
Reporting to the CEO of the Chadwicks Group, the Category Director is responsible for leading and managing all aspects of buying activities within the organisation. The primary objective will be to develop and execute buying strategies and optimise cost efficiency, ensure high-quality products, and support the organisations overall goals. You will oversee a team of category managers, establish strong relationships with suppliers and drive continuous improvement initiatives to enhance buying processes. There will be a strong focus on customer needs.
Knowledge & Experience
- BSc/BA in business administration, buying, supply chain management or relevant field.
- An experienced strategic business leader in a comparable role, preferably with industry knowledge.
- Proven experience (8+ Years) in buying, strategic sourcing, or supply chain management, with a focus on leadership roles.
- Supply chain experience with knowledge of network planning, inventory management and multi-site fulfilment from a centralised Distribution Centre.
- In-depth knowledge of buying strategies, practices, and tools as well as solid understanding of market dynamics.
- Strong negotiation skills with a track record of achieving cost savings and favourable contract terms.
- Experience in managing supplier relationships, conducting supplier performance evaluations, and driving supplier development initiatives.
- Familiarity with procurement regulations, legal requirements, and ethical standards.
- Proficiency in procurement technologies and systems, such as ERP software and e-procurement platforms.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities, with the ability to develop creative solutions to complex procurement challenges.
- Strong leadership and team management skills, with the ability to motivate and inspire a diverse team.
- Effective communication and stakeholder management skills, with the ability to collaborate with external stakeholders at all levels.
- The Category Director is a key member of the senior Leadership Team of The Chadwicks Group and will contribute on all elements of strategy.
- Develop and implement procurement strategies aligned with organisational goals and objectives.
- Oversee the procurement process, including sourcing, negotiation, and implantation of agreements.
- Lead supplier evaluation and selection processes to ensure the organisation works with reliable and high quality suppliers.
- Foster and maintain strong relationships with branch managers, regional sales management and operations, suppliers, promoting collaboration and managing performance.
- Monitor market trends and changes in supplier landscape to identify opportunities for cost savings and process enhancements.
- Establish and enforce procurement policies, procedures and best practices to ensure compliance and mitigate risk.
- Lead the process for planning, budgeting, forecasting and scenario planning for the division.
- Work with the Leadership Team members, especially those other leaders of businesses to develop and implement effective processes and procedures to drive efficiencies across the business.
- Promote sustainability across the key strategic areas identified in the business.
- Drive a positive culture across the business, listening to colleagues and leading the way in diversity and inclusion.
- Ensure all legal and compliance standards are adhered to.
- Ensure that all Company policies and procedures are being followed and improve processes and policies where needed ensuring compliance on ethics and standards.
- Identify and lead technology driven projects that will ensure efficiencies as well as customer service and sustainability improvements.
- Role Model - maintain a professional image for the Company and wider Group in all dealings with both internal and external stakeholders, act as a role model for leadership both internally and externally. Promote and ensure the business operates in line with the values.
- Networking - build and maintain strong relations across the Grafton Group and the associated businesses and management teams. Build strong networks externally to support growth and innovation. Make a full contribution to the Grafton Group community through participation in projects and other Group initiatives.
- Any other ad hoc duties as reasonably requested by the CEO.
- Strong strategic and commercial acumen coupled with a practical pragmatic approach
- Proven track record in leading and motivating a team and driving operational performance
- The ability to build relationships with both customers and suppliers
- Drive, enthusiasm, and flair, combined with resilience and rigour
- Positive can-do attitude
- Ability to prioritise workload
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work within a senior leadership team
- The flexibility and willingness to learn
- The ability to implement change
- Excellent organisation skills and attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong analytical skills
Key Performance Measures
- Cost savings achieved through strategic sourcing and negotiation efforts.
- Supplier performance metrics, including delivery reliability, quality, and responsiveness.
- Compliance with procurement policies, regulations, and ethical standards.
- Procurement process efficiency, measured by cycle time, lead time reduction, and cost-effectiveness.
- Stakeholder satisfaction, including feedback from internal customers and cross-functional teams.
- Development and retention of a high performing procurement team
- Achievement of procurement-related KPI’s, such as supply chain costs as a % of sales targets, stock turn, DC costs as a % of sales, supplier delivery performance to DC, cost savings targets, spend under management, and supplier diversification.
Team & Budget
- Team Size – 14 & Distribution Centre (14 Colleagues)
- Direct Reports – 8
- Budget Responsibility – Commercial Responsibility of €400m
- Permanent full time
- Full time 39-hour contract
- Working week Monday to Friday (Hybrid Working)
Our Benefits Include
- Level 6 Role
- Company Car/Car Allowance
- Competitive Basic Salary
- Competitive Performance Related Bonus
- Private Health Care
- Sick Pay Scheme
- Paid Maternity and Paternity Leave
- Pension Scheme
- Colleague Saving Scheme
- Profit Share Scheme
- Colleague Discount
- Educational Assistance
- Wellness initiatives
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Chadwicks Group we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
DISCLAIMER: Chadwicks Group reserves the right at any time to change, delete, or add to any of the provisions of this Role Profile at its sole discretion and it is the colleagues responsibility to familiarise themselves with these changes. Furthermore, the provisions of this Role Profile are designed by Chadwicks Group to serve as guidelines rather than absolute responsibilities and duties.